Ø The curtains came down by Saturday night on the dramatic spectacle
around holding India-Pakistan talks, less than a day before Pakistan’s National
Security Adviser Sartaj Aziz was due to land in New Delhi, with bitter
accusations and acrimony marking the exchanges. Pakistan accused India of
“concocting terror incidents and keeping the LoC [Line of Control] hot”, while
India said Pakistan was using firing at the LoC and terror attacks to “run away
from the talks”. If on Friday, the two nations sparred by exchanging media
statements, on Saturday, they sparred at press conferences addressed by Mr.
Aziz in Islamabad, followed by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in
Delhi. The deadlock over the talks, due to be held between Mr. Aziz and India’s
NSA Ajit Doval from 10 a.m. on Monday morning at Hyderabad House here, remained
the same, however. While India said Mr. Aziz could not meet Kashmiri separatist
Hurriyat leaders during his visit, and would have to restrict the agenda to
issues of terrorism, Pakistan said it would accept no conditions and would have
an “open agenda”.
Ø The former Israeli Defence Minister, Ehud Barak, revealed new
details to his biographers about how close Israel came to striking Iran’s
military facilities in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and why it did not despite his and
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s desire to do so, according to interview
excerpts aired on Israeli television on Friday night. Barak, who also
previously served as Israel’s Prime Minister, said that he and Netanyahu were
ready to attack Iran each year but that in 2010, the military chief of staff
said Israel lacked the “operational capability”; in 2011, two key ministers
waffled at the last minute; and in 2012, the timing did not work out because of
a joint U.S.-Israel military exercise and visit by the American Defence
Secretary. He noted that the two Ministers who balked in 2011, Moshe Yaalon and
Yuval Steinitz, “are the most militant about attacking Iran” today. The
interview excerpts were aired by Israel’s Channel 2, which stressed that Barak
had sought to prevent them from being broadcast, but that they had been
approved by Israel’s military censor. Reached late Friday by telephone, Barak
confirmed that the recordings were authentic but said he had provided the information
on background to the authors, Ilan Kfir and Danny Dor, whose book, Barak: The
Wars of My Life, came out this week in Hebrew.
No comments:
Post a Comment